Why I Love Doctor Who and Sci-Fi in general


As news reached me of Peter Capaldi’s decision to leave Doctor Who I decided to write a post where I explain the reason why I love this show and why it made me who I am today. In a sentence, the reason I love this show is that it shows us potential, purpose and what we could be.

Let me explain, we see these adventures of this benevolent, honourable, ancient being who can be both the most vengeful god and the most selfless soul. A man who has lived hundreds of lives across millennia seen the biggest and best of creation and the vilest evil creatures, a person who you’d think would see humans as fleeting most insignificant beings but doesn’t. We see this master of time and space who time and time again fights to protect our species and planet and we must ask why?

And the answer is simple this is a being who has had 14 versions of himself and lived well over 2 thousand years and he keeps running and he looks upon humans and sees “giants” sees us and admires our resolve and humility in face of our mortality something he rarely faces himself. In respect, he takes a few of us to show us a fraction of what there is out there in the unknown.  This brings me to why I love this show we see these stories and adventures and they inspire us they show us the best we can be.

We see ourselves through the eyes of a man who could be forgiven for seeing the human races as lesser but envy’s us, this makes us feel important that it's our mortality that gives us meaning that without the end the journey has no meaning, that life is made of moments that are as precious as diamond but if we were to live forever (or near enough) then though moments become more and more common like sand and become worthless.

But more than this Doctor who and other Science Fiction shows aim to show us the potential future. Take star trek a future where the world is united there is no famine, poverty or environmental issues everyone free and equal and no one wants for anything. This makes us want to better ourselves and the world the idea that one day the world could live in peace the only goal wouldn’t be a personal gain but how can I improve myself.


These shows have inspired me to not only to go into science but to try and improve society a tiny bit, especially now when the world is going crazy “You don’t just give up. You don’t just let things happen. You make a stand! You say no! You have the guts to do what’s right, even when everyone else just runs away” but more than this I learnt to live my life the way I want to, I am going to get my doctorate, I am going into scientific research I will go into politics and I am going to see the domes of the cathedrals in Florence and the colosseum in Rome, I am going to stand under northern lights and read a book in the Canadian mountains  since simply  “we are all stories in the end, so make it a good one eh”.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mass Effect: Andromeda 18 Months on– A Good Game Trapped in a Great Shadow.

Gender Equality: It goes both ways

Star trek Discovery: Pre-release opinion.