What to do in the holidays?

Over the past week, I have pondered the question what to do in the holidays? Now several ideas and several necessities come to mind For example making sure accommodation is sorted and insurance is sorted for next years accommodation also making sure you are signed up to the correct modules alongside checking your grades are all absolute must do's for the holidays.

But those things still leave a large amount of time, now the most obvious thing to do would be to get a job if you haven't got one already. even though it seems like a no brainer get a job earn some money for next year great. But what if you can't get a job, that may seem unlikely nearly everyone can get a job, well that depends on your situation. For example, some areas have really low employment opportunities especially for students looking for part-time or temporary work.

From my experience in my area, most jobs I have found are permanent positions many require months to years of experience in very specific areas or require special training or qualification (commonly in area certification to use specific machinery or vehicle) so lacking in these requirements some are left without a job over summer, so what to do instead?

Well if working now is out of the question then maybe search for a job when you return to university, I myself have applied for several part-time positions at ARU student union. if that fails I will search elsewhere near my university for work so I can apply when I return. but this still leaves the question of what to do now in the massive amounts of time in the holidays.

One thing you could do is look for a paid/unpaid placement or internship over summer. these are great as they allow you to gather work experience and knowledge in your field that you don't necessarily get on your standard course. However, these placements are few and far between and usually very competitive, plus most require your organise weeks to months in advance.

So if you can't get a placement what do you do then? well for me some of the same restrictions that prevented me getting a job prevented me getting an internship, lack of a drivers licence and lack of public transport in my area. So I had the idea to learn over summer nothing as extensive as a summer school but informative like reading literature around my field. I also found a series (over 800) of free short courses from the open university and many are related to my course and some are just interesting and some are just useful (like the computer courses)

But for me, the best thing to do is catch up with friends and relax

have a great summer!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mass Effect: Andromeda 18 Months on– A Good Game Trapped in a Great Shadow.

Gender Equality: It goes both ways

Star trek Discovery: Pre-release opinion.